V
Home Rules Plug-Ins Forums Donate

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Administrator

Now about that alltalk.

Hey guys.

So today I decided to code in a so-called 'alltalk' channel. Some people want alltalk, some people don't. I figured I could get the best of both worlds with a separate alltalk channel.

So here is how it works.

You join the alltalk channel by saying "alltalk" in voice chat. Once you're in, it tells you how many other players are in the channel. Everyone in this channel can hear each other, dead or alive, regardless of team. Just like alltalk!

However, you can't hear people that are not in the alltalk channel, and you can't talk to people that are not in the alltalk channel.

To leave the alltalk channel, simply say alltalk again.

Community Regular
    I'm speechless, an excellent idea no one seemed to come up with. I am hoping this turns out well, but at least thank you for working on it.

Quote Originally Posted by voogru View Post

However, you can't hear people that are not in the alltalk channel, and you can't talk to people that are not in the alltalk channel.
    So my teammates who choose to go into the alltalk channel can no longer tell me if there's a spy behind my back, and I can no longer warn them that a spy is behind their back? I'm sorry but this is frankly one of the worst ideas I've ever heard.

http://i.imgur.com/jbFzkKf.png
    This is still being broadcasted.

Old School
    I fear it may not work out too well for exactly the reasons freakwentcy mentions above

I wonder if a better solution is to retain the old system for voting for global alltalk but give players who really don't want to listen to the other team an option to type 'teamtalk' so they can only hear their own team.
    Last edited by pipski; 07-07-2015 at 07:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by freakwentcy View Post
    So my teammates who choose to go into the alltalk channel can no longer tell me if there's a spy behind my back, and I can no longer warn them that a spy is behind their back? I'm sorry but this is frankly one of the worst ideas I've ever heard.
    Best idea I ever heard. -Spy.

I always thought the easiest solution to alltalk was to randomize the vote numbers every time.

Quote Originally Posted by pipski View Post
    I fear it may not work out too well for exactly the reasons freakwentcy mentions above

I wonder if a better solution is to retain the old system for voting for global alltalk but give players who really don't want to listen to the other team an option to type 'teamtalk' so they can only hear their own team.
    I would like this more.
    bind t teamtalk

bla bla bla standard alltalk chatter
    t
    spy pyro at bla
    t
    back to alltalk chatter, and never missing a conversation.
    seems to be the best of both worlds.

Community Regular
    Freak also has a good point. The inherent problem about this is that all team-based communication won't be heard by teammates in the all-talk channel which degrades gameplay for some players. It's nice that Voogru has carved out something to try to meet people in the middle. Thanks VooVoo. <3

Server Admin
    I think this is the perfect solution.

The argument from teamtalk people is that the alltalk people never talk about gameplay anyway. When alltalk is on, you can barely tell if someone shouting "spy" is on your team, let alone talking specifically about you. Having these voices missing from the teamtalk channel wouldn't be too much of a letdown; we can't force them to use strategy, anyway.

On certain maps, you might find very few people in an alltalk channel--and I can see myself using teamtalk most games. On other maps, or at certain times of the night, the alltalk channel will fill up.

I'm pretty hopeful. At the very least, it's definitely worth testing out and seeing if it's good.
    Last edited by blue_tetris; 07-08-2015 at 06:37 AM.

Administrator
    The reason for this was I didn't want it to get confusing, for example, if you can hear someone not in the alltalk channel, you may be replying to someone who can't hear you.

Maybe we can try it anyway though. I was thinking of simply adjusting the logic, maybe something like if the person on the other team, and is in the alltalk channel, anyone else in the alltalk channel can hear them too regardless of team.

Then you could still hear people on your own team as normal.

Quote Originally Posted by godsyn View Post
    http://i.imgur.com/jbFzkKf.png
    This is still being broadcasted.
    Will fix that.