V
Home Rules Plug-Ins Forums Donate

Thread: Streamers

Streamers

Of late there have been several people, usually with their name changed to their twitch channel, streaming on the server. I don't believe there are any current guidelines for streams, but I think there should be. Personally, I hate being streamed. It makes me extremely uncomfortable to know I'm being recorded. I'll talk less or not at all. It's like having someone put dozens of cameras and mics in your favorite bar and then expecting everyone to act naturally. However subtle the change in behavior is, it's still there. If this had been a common occurrence when I first started playing here, I wouldn't have stayed.

One recent notable streamer was streaming while topless and then complaining in her stream that people weren't letting her play the way she wanted. Thankfully, there's been few people trolling as blatantly as she. However, it makes it that much more difficult to tell if someone's actions and speech are being guided by their desire to placate an audience and are merely affectations rather than genuine expressions of themselves.

I'd be interested to know where others stand on the issue, and what(if any) official policy may result.

Community Regular
    Not sure where I stand on the issue. I'll need to see evidence of this woman streaming Crazy House. :-P

OK the serious pants have been put on. Currently there aren't any rules against streaming while playing TF2. Crazy House is a publicly-accessible server which means there is no expectation of privacy while playing the game.

I can understand that it may make some people a little nervous. I've seen some streamers on Twitch.tv visit Crazy House. I watched one guy play on Crazy House for an hour or so last week. He was funny and it was cool to see my friends on a live feed. About 5 people were watching the stream.

My advice is to just be yourself and relax. You seem like a really nice and fun person when we play together. If anything people like you are a selling point to join in on the fun when we play on Crazy House.

Server Admin
    I can't imagine how to enforce a "no streaming" rule, or even discern that someone is streaming. Streamers don't have to indicate they're streaming at all. The game allows anyone to record demos on the client side (which is pretty useful in preventing cheating), and it has built-in broadcasting tools. If CH could implement such a restriction, it'd be the only server that has it.

I don't usually like being recorded. But I just say "Hello Youtube!!" every five seconds, until they give up trying to record (or mute me).

Community Regular
    Gotta agree with Cold. You're a very friendly person and I enjoy your presence on the server; the kind of person that makes people interested in the server.

I can understand the concern from being recorded, or having an audience change personality, but as blue says you can be recorded at any moment. At least the twitch streamers that put it in their name make it obvious. Plus, even without recording people have an audience of 31 other players, so unless dozens upon dozens of people are watching us on twitch I doubt it will change much...
    [RAIN]deer

If you're wearing a twitch url then you can bet your bottom dollar I'm doing everything I can to stab only you.

Community Regular
    Its part of the game. Whether its on PC, Xbox, or Playstation you are likely being streamed by someone. So either get over it or play single player. But most likely you might want to take some anxiety medication when you wake up in the morning because people.

My current medication regimen includes both fluoxetine and amitriptyline. The results of which, over the past 2-3 years, has lead me out of what was an anxiety related muteness. Hence, why you get to frequently delight in the dulcet tones of my voice. I wholeheartedly appreciate your sincere and heartfelt expression of concern for my mental health and well-being, however, the focus of my grievance is the recently developing server norm.
    Last edited by MeleeMileena; 04-13-2015 at 07:59 AM.

Old School
    hope you find your balance soon, I guess public servers are just that, any information you share expect it to become public, recording or broadcasting of a game session is part of the new normal. If that makes you uncomfortable you should avoid public servers
    Last edited by pipski; 05-14-2015 at 08:54 PM.

It'd be nice to know so I can be less of an idiot when I'm being recorded.

You are always being recorded regardless of streaming. It's called replay. If anyone wants, they can tap 1 key and record the server from everyone's perspective, including voice.

This is a horrible idea to try and ban streaming. I don't do any streaming myself, but I welcome anyone else who wants to.