V
Home Rules Plug-Ins Forums Donate

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Alltalk

Community Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by pipski View Post
    Okay so let me get this straight down the line so I get where you are coming from...

after I said this

we should wait for the Florida vote to come in to settle this
    [It's almost moot engaging you in a meaningful discussion at this point, but...]

That is a funny joke you got there.

I'd like to point out that I can quote you on many occasions for saying "This isn't a democracy, this is a pipocracy." and then go on to do whatever you want to do regardless of the community's wishes. Sometimes I agree with your decision to change a map or turn on all-talk but ultimately I prefer that the community decides (this goes for all admins).

And now to address the rest of the audience:

Every night doesn't have to be a in-depth discussion about physics, culture, wine, politics, sports, or religion. Most of us play TF2 to enjoy the team-based aspects of the game. The side-discussions should complement the experience, not be the main attraction. The other day Punchy and I hopped on. We all talked about strategy and stuff while joking around. It was pretty fun! But after a while all-talk started getting turned on. It soon got boring/annoying and a handful of us left (Paprika, myself, Punchy, Counselor, SoBe, etc).

We may be the minority. We may also be accustomed to a different experience before these other CH n00bs arrived. I don't see how it matters too much. If this keeps up more of us will go on to play on another server and the minority will keep getting smaller and smaller.

Could be the natural way of things, no? Viva la Pipocracy!

Community Regular
    Right now, as it stands with the current system in place anyone and everyone can call up a vote. The other night I was in the server and playing on cp_dustbowl. Now I am sure you all have played it, we had a good match going for about 20 minutes or so as we rallied a defense and begin offense on the second stage. Team was working together, there was friendly banter, you know tf2 stuff. What I came to love and expect form the server. At this point someone threw up a vote for all-talk. I'm sure you know the rest, it happens often. Teamwork feel apart, people faltered on offense due to not knowing what was going on. They only information they got was 2-4 people having a conversation about what ever, you know so us other 28 players could get the chance to hear them speak about their opinions as a captive audience.

I was curious to see who might have done it so I checked. The person who will remain nameless had been in the server for 1 minute and 34 seconds before they used the voting command. They did not seem to be a regular player as i could not recall who they were. As it stands right now that one person can throw up a vote effecting everyone's game. The whole server was on that map for 20 minutes, you know not a single person voted for all talk to be on. The map pretty much requires it to be off for any amount of success to be had. But no, this single person had the power to ruin the map.

Now I am sure you are thinking,
    But willl, that single person did not have the power the majority has the power. The vote will never pass if 51% says no. The server wants it, the people have spoken, it passed deal with it, vote no if you dislike it.

My question is why was it not voted on Immediately when the map changed? Why is it not on 24/7 if that is the case? Perhaps people did not want it on, that is why they choose not to enable it in the first place.

This voting system we have is causing problems. It is and will be abused by any random player.

In the past we never had this problem, by past I mean the last six years. All talk was reserved as an admin command, and for good reason it will be abused by the server. Now I am sure you think willl, this is your opinion. But let us take a look at the last time someone proposed all_talk for being put up to a vote. This is what the admins running the server said:

Quote Originally Posted by HoundDawg View Post
    "Sorry, I can't use my mic late at night, everyone is sleeping and they'd get pissed."

I suppose the "late-night crew" come on after even the above head to bed. The only problem I see here, is that if some idiot jumps on the server and mic spams or even worse.... while all the admins are tucked in bed. Wouldn't want the CH server to turn into DB... late night.
    Quote Originally Posted by MomawNadon78 View Post
    As a vote.... it'd be abused.
    bad idea, its gonna get messy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekish View Post
    Won't happen, I'm afraid (vote_alltalk).
    alltalk is an admin only feature for the very simple reason we can switch it back off again as soon as there is too much noise

I ony really use it if the server gets down to less than 8v8 and when everyone on the server pretty much knows each other.

The fact its on at all, is basically letting you know theres an admin in the server so people are not gonna act the bollocks
    It is like they knew this would happen. 32 players with votealltalk is a problem.
    Last edited by willl; 06-26-2014 at 12:37 AM.

Community Regular
    Great post, willl. After reading your points I hope the all-talk vote is removed. It definitely turns everything to shit during regular hours.

Server Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold-- View Post
    Great post, willl. After reading your points I hope the all-talk vote is removed. It definitely turns everything to shit during regular hours.

Evidently many of you are under the impression that all admins read the forums.

I, for one, don't. I am not a big fan of forums where I can avoid them. I think I have 0 posts to this forum (all of my posts are in the admin subforum, and they are trivia entries -- probably).

Anyway, for that reason I was unaware that this thread existed and that such complaints had been considered in such detail.

I will re-read this thread tomorrow and try to summarize everyone's arguments. I will categorize the possible solutions and attempt to condier their merits. This problem has significant overlap with voting system problems in general.

Community Regular
    Well one thing I'd like to add that I would not want to see coming back is the default alltalk until server reaches x amount of players. Its nice having it on when you are filling the server. But it really sucks if alltalk shuts off at 12 players and the server sits at 13 players for a long amount of time (never fills) and the other 12 were actually enjoying themselves. I don't know what the solution to making people happy is here and I'm glad I don't have to decide. This does come full circle to my previous suggestion to adding a few "un-admins" who could do nothing but start alltalk votes, force an RTV, and maybe push some vote kicks through. Even more I bet you could have almost every regular here come up with 10-15 people they think would be perfect for that job and almost every list would be almost identical. To me this solution is so easy its ridiculous. /shrug

And here I thought techno adoringly read our comments each night before drifting off to sleep.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Community Regular
    So, after hearing that this has taken off I'd like to toss in my two-cents. I've been playing on Voogru for some odd, hell six.. maybe seven years now? The game landed in 2007, it wasn't long before Voogru became my haunt.

I've seen this debate several times and my memory is long but I'm not going to attack or defend. I'm just going to say what has happened in the past.

I don't have the years right on this, so this is what I remember.

1. Server was 100% all-talk.
    2. People complained, all-talk went away, Pip would show up (he played a lot more and got a lot drunker back then) and would flip it on. People would cheer.... life would move on.
    3. We eventually had alltalk returned to a more normal stance and I believe it was turned on again for a while. This is a bit hazy, but I really only played when Pipski was on way back when (I love me some Pipski) and it was usually on.
    4. Then it was shut off and no voting to bring it back up..... which was a huge problem when Pipski stopping playing regularly and the admin team was dwindling in body count and play time.
    5. Then is was configured for only a smaller amount of players and admins would usually turn it on when they showed up.... but always kill it on Sudden Death.
    6. The cycle usually repeats, it has been for years.... alltalk love... then alltalk hate... then alltalk love...

As a reference point, I find it interesting that the admins are openly talking about it, up until about two years ago the control was much less democratic then it was now.

I don't really much care, I love to play with a few of y'all only. Heck the people in this thread are in no small part a major reason of why I play on Voogru. As long as I can chat with Blue, Pipski, or paradox while I play...then I don't have a problem.

I do see the argument for 'private voice servers'. I've told Cold long ago I continually pay for one and I wouldn't mind opening it up for a few of y'all... but with a cap of only 15 I'm not sure how well that would work. But that is the problem, control/admin/police for another server that runs parallel for TF2. Could be a disaster to manage.

I admire to long-winded conversations on the tenants of etiquette. Maybe we could fix this if we had a 'vote mute' feature... which could control those who hog alltalk and detract from the game?

- Ford

Old School
    admin notalk

so we can just sit quietly and eat our gruel, its a thin porridge of watery oats and glue

avast ye squabs but lo, there is a rainbow on the horizon, saddle your steed and break out the finest frock coat for the Sunday sermon, now that there's a new voting system in town

lets ride this with flags flying
    Last edited by pipski; 07-01-2014 at 08:55 AM.

I haven't really frequented the forums much. I just posted about the new map voting system without having read or posted much. I had wanted to post a response to freakwentcy's very thought out post about alltalk. This has been a big conversation point with a lot of my friends on the server. Let me start off by saying I'm kinda shocked at some of the reply posts. Freak's post clearly was written with a lot of forethought and care and some of the responses by regulars and admins don't take it seriously at all. It really disheartens me to see that the one place someone could hope to be able to engage in meaningful discussion in order to better a server we all love to play on is filled with comments of a mocking and dismissive tone. I mean what is the point in even posting here or tying to make positive changes when one is met with such responses and from admins no less? I mean I'm a retaliative newcomer when compared to freak.....what hope do I have that my post will not be ridiculed like this? Being an optimist I will voice my opinion on this matter with the hope that it will add to the meaningful discussion already begun.

Voogru was the first server I ever played tf2 on, and tf2 is the first real video game I ever played, I mention this to illustrate the importance of this server to me. I cherish this server, I will always see myself as a Voogrian. When I first started playing I really enjoyed alltalk. I felt other servers lacked something because there was no alltalk. Alltalk made me feel a part of the community. I must confess, I am a chatty cathy, some might say I'm too talkative and I can own that. But the longer I played on voogru I noticed how I was liking alltalk less and less. It was always on. And if it wasn't on you could always guarantee that specific admins would always turn it on automatically. Then there was the glorious alltalk vote option.....and all was good. There was appearance of a choice until it became apparently clear alltalk was never going to be turned off and still when it was miraculously turned off some admins would join and turn it on again. At first I did not grasp the problem with the voting system. It wasn't apparent to me. If the majority votes it on then that must be what the majority wants but should 51% be allowed to monopolize the alltalk option? Probably not, it seems like an easy fix to be honest. I like nerdguy's option. Still allow people to vote it on but change the perimeters. I hope this thread brings about some change and the meaningful discussion continues. If not for the new map voting system, I would have little hope that things could be changed and hopefully this is one of things that will.

Community Regular
    Feed Alice a carrot. That was a good post. *claps*