V
Home Rules Plug-Ins Forums Donate

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Defiance

Server Admin

Thumbs up Defiance

I'm sure most of you have already heard of this MMO + SyFy series coming soon. Well, can't say much about the series yet, but the MMO side of it.... is horrible on so many levels. I couldn't figure out why Trion would create and launch a game that looks and feels like a pre-WoW MMORPG, until someone mentioned that the Defiance contract between SyFy and Trion contained a paragraph that essentially restricted the MMO from being superior to the show... in any way. The NDA was just lifted this morning, so I'm sure you'll see more info with the horrible reviews.

You're better off trying Natural Selection 2 if you don't already own it since it's free-to-play this weekend on Steam.

Community Regular

Re: Defiance

Quote Originally Posted by HoundDawg View Post
    I'm sure most of you have already heard of this MMO + SyFy series coming soon. Well, can't say much about the series yet, but the MMO side of it.... is horrible on so many levels. I couldn't figure out why Trion would create and launch a game that looks and feels like a pre-WoW MMORPG, until someone mentioned that the Defiance contract between SyFy and Trion contained a paragraph that essentially restricted the MMO from being superior to the show... in any way. The NDA was just lifted this morning, so I'm sure you'll see more info with the horrible reviews.

You're better off trying Natural Selection 2 if you don't already own it since it's free-to-play this weekend on Steam.
    That's odd, I enjoyed the last beta.

You can also try Neverwinter if you were privy to getting keys.

Server Admin

I played a little more this morning and although I can see the appeal of the game.... just not sure how it'll do in the long-run. I surely wouldn't drop $60 for a box copy on it even without monthly subs, especially when it'll require additional $ just to unlock useful features like increased inventory and such.

I suppose if you have friends that enjoy Borderlands-ish gameplay and don't mind getting sucked into a F2P store.. and are committed to playing this then it'll be the game for you.

Community Regular

Quote Originally Posted by HoundDawg View Post
    I played a little more this morning and although I can see the appeal of the game.... just not sure how it'll do in the long-run. I surely wouldn't drop $60 for a box copy on it even without monthly subs, especially when it'll require additional $ just to unlock useful features like increased inventory and such.

I suppose if you have friends that enjoy Borderlands-ish gameplay and don't mind getting sucked into a F2P store.. and are committed to playing this then it'll be the game for you.
    Well I think that's more of a fair statement than "horrible on so many levels."

Server Admin

So, I have the Decoy Ego and it seems to be going through the world without me knowing it, so when I hit 1 thinking it would spawn a new decoy, I swap to its location... well actually next to it .... and therefore stuck under the ground or in a mountain. So, now I'm stuck with a pretty worthless ego ability.

Doesn't matter though, as it seems like the lower level PVE guys couldn't kill you if you went AFK in front of their barrel.

Community Regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuGU4_k3q1Y - Looks interesting but not amazing judging by this; F2P at best, or BuyOnceToPlay; I'd play it purely for the Vehicles, honestly

Server Admin

My first thought: "Oh, looks cool for a F2P MMO...wait, it's not F2P?" then, "Oh cool, it's multiplatform, so I can play the same character on my PS3 and on the PC right? Nope..."

Looks underwhelming all around. I can't see how it'll succeed in this market.

Old School

It's SyFy (Scifi you fucks) related and therefore only exists to ruin my hopes and dreams. Seems fun but like all cool and decent things SyFy, is going to die just before it gets interesting.

Except "Face Off", which isn't bad at all.

Server Admin

For a PvE MMO... the beta was very underwhelming and a disappointment from Trion. I only hope the series is 100x better than the game, otherwise, it won't last long either. It's unfortunate, as the mixed-media premise is a pretty cool concept, just seems poorly executed.

Community Regular

Have to say, the Series is pretty damn good, to me. Has me hooked, though we'll see about the game ;x