V
Home Rules Plug-Ins Forums Donate

Admin Powertrips

Greetings! Picked up NS2 a couple of weeks ago and been playing on the Voogroo servers exclusively. I've made some friends on the server and I enjoy the competitiveness these servers provide.

The one thing I am not enjoying is the admins with power trips. I understand that they have to be harsh in dealing with griefers but they really do need to relax a bit. The most recent example is that I've been on the Voogroo servers all day playing and Mr Chrome joins and starts threatening to ban people because they aren't listening to him. The fact is that the other team was just better and we were dying very quickly even when we'd go to the area he was telling us to go.

After that game they stacked the teams to where the 4 highest K ratio folks were on the same team (all were 30 kills and single digit deaths) and had us locked down to our base and unable to get out 10 minutes into the game. Our team conceded by F4'ing as there was no reason to keep playing it out and now I find myself perma kicked because we *as a team* decided to concede to the better skilled marines. We found no reason to continue to play it out when the only resource node we had was in our own base and had only Camo for an upgrade.

I'm a competitive player and strive to get better every game I play but there becomes a point when there is nothing to gain from continuing a game just to get spawn killed over and over. I don't believe this should be a kickable offense if the whole team chooses to concede.

Perhaps I'm overreacting and F4'ing even though it's a for sure loss to start a new game is frowned upon in the NS2 community. If not then perhaps some of the admins need to be told to calm down a bit and be told what a kickable/bannable offense is.

Looking forward to continuing to play on Voogroo servers if you'll have me.

-Wiluven

Old School

Re: Admin Powertrips

1. I didn't threaten to ban anyone for not listening, except maybe Matrix as a joke. I did however warn everyone to stop quitting teams and promised to ban some people if they kept doing it.

2. I warned everyone on the server to stop F4ing, as it was getting old and ending games. You proceeded to do it the next round and ended yet another game. You got a 60 minute ban so that we could actually have a game without people quitting every time things looked ugly.

We ended up getting slaughtered but at least we played the game.

You're more than welcome back on the server, just no need to F4 and end games because things

1.) I respectfully disagree with your statement. You'd tell the team to go to one room and then the whole team went and then told the team to go to another room and the whole team would go there. You got pissed off because no one would stay at the 'other' room to defend. I said that your method isn't working and maybe designate two or three specific people by name to stay in a room and then you said something close to "Well my method is going to work otherwise I'll start banning people and get people in that will listen". There was no joking happening.

2.) The *whole team* as in everyone alien side decided to F4 that next game because the teams got stacked and we couldn't fight our way out of the base - it was beyond 'looking ugly'. 10 minutes into the game the marines had total map control and we only had the single resource in our base and a single upgrade. As I said previously, if it's in bad taste to F4 in that situation then I won't do it again but I do have to stress my point that the game was over and the marines had the whole alien team F4. We gave up, we bow down, we concede. I find no fault in a team conceding in that situation instead of mindlessly throwing unupgraded skulks at you guys to laugh at and wasting precious time.

Anyhoo - said my piece and I appreciate your prompt response. Be on later tonight and/or tomorrow.

-Wiluven

Community Regular

The F4ing/recycling has been pretty bad lately. The only way to get better is to play against people better than yourself. If you F4 every time its bad you're just being a jerk to the folks on the other team that played well and not giving yourself a chance to get better. I frequently play out losing games because if I was winning I wouldn't want everyone F4ing my victory.

With that in mind, I frequently kick AFKs, trolls, mic spammers, and other undesirables. If I see someone consistently degrading the game play on the server in any way they get the boot. If they keep it up, they get a temp ban. This usually doesn't happen but a firm invisible hand keeps the immature folks in line and improves the game for everyone else.

Old School

I honestly never see the point of F4'ing. For me, some of the most fun I've had were on losing rounds. After all, when else can i legitimately use nothing but the axe for 20 minutes and not piss my team off in the process? I like to make a game out of it, and award myself bonus points if I can make it to the hive and knife the alien commander. Double points if it's Chrome commanding >.>

Old School

Matrix, you hardly ever get past me when you try pulling stunts like that, haha

Old School

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Matrix, you hardly ever get past me when you try pulling stunts like that, haha
    See Adam killing Matrix half a dozen times in a row in Lava Falls for reference.