Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Team stacking is getting bad
V
Home Rules Plug-Ins Forums Donate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Old School

Team stacking is getting bad

We've got the same group of regs stacking aliens every round lately. {-o-} Gimmic, {-o-} Zip, Juggs, Tobasco, and a few others. When asked, they say they flatly refuse to play anything other than aliens, and are perfectly content to dominate every round. When they can't play alien, they just wait in the ready room hanging out by the alien gate until a slot opens up. It's at the point where I don't even like playing on the voogru servers anymore.

Re: Team stacking is getting bad

Agreed. If you only want to play aliens, that's fine, but don't do it while stacking public servers.

Old School

delete me.

Community Regular

Ah yes, I remember those guys.

What the Voogru servers desperately need is the auto random thingy some other servers have. It worked out great on the TF2 servers.

Server Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Boojangels View Post
    ...What the Voogru servers desperately need is the auto random thingy some other servers have. It worked out great on the TF2 servers.
    Except the fact that in TF2, both red and blu had the same exact classes and gameplay. NS2 is aliens vs. marines and players are going to prefer one over the other... randomizing will just force more players to get frustrated with the re-logging in to get on the team they want (which also happens in TF2 with team stacking... to this day).

If more players went strictly Marines and gained experience working together and started dominating, I'm suspecting the players currently playing Aliens will start swapping. Too many players with the mentality of always playing the OP side to gain any enjoyment from a game (heavily seen in MMORPGs or with grenade spam and particular OP weapons in FPSs). Mature players tend to gravitate toward taking on the underdog challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by HoundDawg View Post
    Except the fact that in TF2, both red and blu had the same exact classes and gameplay. NS2 is aliens vs. marines and players are going to prefer one over the other... randomizing will just force more players to get frustrated with the re-logging in to get on the team they want (which also happens in TF2 with team stacking... to this day).

If more players went strictly Marines and gained experience working together and started dominating, I'm suspecting the players currently playing Aliens will start swapping. Too many players with the mentality of always playing the OP side to gain any enjoyment from a game (heavily seen in MMORPGs or with grenade spam and particular OP weapons in FPSs). Mature players tend to gravitate toward taking on the underdog challenge.
    If you fixed res for kills, aliens wouldn't be OP

Community Regular

I don't particularly agree. When you make the comparison to TF2, you say both sides are exactly the same. However, the gameplay for attacking and defending is quite different. You get the usual cries "I have to defend/attack this map?" Once players realize that the server is an auto-random server, they will either leave or accept the fact that they might not end up on their favorite side. The servers I have played in with auto-random usually ended up playing great.

You know what's also frustrating? Being constantly stacked against. Once the steamroll stacks start happening, you can continue to be beat, leave, or join them. Games that only last six minutes will frustrate players on the other side and you'll usually get a chunk of people leaving while getting a bad taste of the server in their mouth. If people are re-logging to get around the randomizer, that's your job to prevent (See rule number 3). But if you want to, we can rely on the "maturity" of players to go for the "underdog challenge". I don't know if anyone else will agree with me, but I think the randomizer will do more good than harm. If anything, a trial run on server #2 could be cool, especially if you label it as "Voogru HIVE #2 Auto-random Teams" or something to attract players that want auto-random.

Also we need an AFK kicker if we don't have one already. Votekick would be nice too.

Community Regular

I've seen it implemented in tf2, an autobalance function that forces you back on the team that you were autobalanced to if you try to relog to circumvent it (which I would like to see on CH)

force that in with a team scramble vote and you have your fix

Old School

As far as I can tell, there's no afk-kicker, or spectate kick on the NS servers yet. It's always fun to be down a player and see 3 afks and a spectator

Quote Originally Posted by Krytical -V- View Post
    I've seen it implemented in tf2, an autobalance function that forces you back on the team that you were autobalanced to if you try to relog to circumvent it (which I would like to see on CH)

force that in with a team scramble vote and you have your fix
    I don't think that would work in NS2 tbh as each race (human/alien) has it's distinct game play, which is compounded by the fact that friends want to play on each others teams.