V
Home Rules Plug-Ins Forums Donate

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Normal DB Map Feature Preference?

1. Single launcher, many rockets?
    2. Many launchers, several rockets each?
      Very much map dependent, can't say I care too much either way.
    3. Slower rockets, more damage (e.g. 2 hit kills)?
    4. Faster rockets, less damage (e.g. 4 hit kills)?
    5. Rocket spam?
    6. Rocket waves (batches of many rockets launched per wave)?
      Again, map dependent. I'd say spam with low damage/maybe even low speed is better, and waves with slower rockets more damage can bring more of an "oh, shit" moment (Bombing). It can work
      EDIT: To be honest I wouldn't say that the damage a rocket does is as important as how many there are. It works best if the fewer the rockets the faster they go.
    7. Launch warning?
      Depends on severity of attack. You're playing DB, you have to expect rockets, so it's often not needed
    8. Fixed location launcher?
    9. Dynamic moving launcher?
      Moving can add great effects, but often annoys people (UFO - never had a problem with the map personally but I know many people hate it). I have no issue if it works with the map.
    10. Co-ed players (red and blue mixed)?
    11. Segregated players (red and blue separated with a barrier)?
      Very dependent on other things, especially size. Mixed works well on maps like MAG, but on others it can fail miserably.
    12. Kill zones (e.g. pits, cliffs, fire, etc...)?
    13. Dynamic objects per round?
      Both are often good, but often at the risk of overloading maps (Spill and Redcourt sometimes offenders for this - especially a problem if mixed players)
    14. Nuke jump only areas (e.g. raised platforms)?
      Yeah, love a bit of variety in places to go. Tele's work well too, if less skill oriented.
    15. Weather effects (e.g. rain)?
      Tricky one. Never had problems myself, but if overdone can sometimes slow down other people's computers - not great with rockets flying at you.
    16. Killer launchers (e.g. kill zone around a moving launcher)?
      No real opinion.

To be honest most of these are map dependent, especially as Jub said on the size. For me, if the players are mixed then there's more of a danger in overloading the players with distractions (such as kill zones) which just make the maps a hassle, with loads of pushing and too much to watch (which is my issue with Redcourt). I usually prefer segregation, but even then if a map is well balanced it doesn't matter.

Server Admin

Thanks for the feedback. Agreed, some are map dependent.

I finished the first pass on the brush work this weekend and now working on bending the physics entities for the new rocket launcher.

Server Admin

Finally got the new launcher physics working this morning, so expect alpha testing sometime in the next few days.

Community Regular

Thanks for all the work HoundDawg, much appreciated.

Community Regular

Great to hear. Can't wait to try it.

Server Admin

Doing more brush work... and think it needs to be scaled down a bit, map feels HUGE even though would fit inside db_burst. Here's an early teaser:

dbs_fortress_pre-alpha.jpg

Server Admin

I know DB and DBS differs a bit on required space and distance, which leads to map size. I'd like to hear feedback before I spend time resizing this down a bit (looking at 50%).

Out of the existing maps, especially the ones you favor, what is your ideal map size [example] for both DB and DBS?

I'd say something pit sized is best for DB, but its another thing that depends on others, if its smaller it needs fewer rockets. It's gotta be reasonably sized though, and I'd say a map too big is better than a map too small.

Community Regular

To me maps like Stadium, Blocks, and 2 Sides seem to be the best general size. I think maps like Spill, Bombing, and Burst are also a good size for something a little bigger than the first three I mentioned.

Server Admin

Thanks guys. I'll need to open up all of those maps and get Hammer unit dimensions for them. I've been spending a LOT of time in MMOs over the past few years, so what I created felt fine to me. But, when I tossed in a pyro bot and put some distance between us, I noticed how FAR away he was.... although didn't seem that far, but as you can see from the screenshot, he's ant sized.

In a way, I think this is the massive distance in dbs_accelerator as well, which to me seems a bit too far of a distance span. Perhaps, it's not too bad in DBS as much as it would be in DB?