V
Home Rules Plug-Ins Forums Donate

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Server Admin

Question Normal DB Map Feature Preference?

DB has been around for years now, and I'm curious what your DB map feature preferences are today (pick your favorites)?

1. Single launcher, many rockets?
    2. Many launchers, several rockets each?
    3. Slower rockets, more damage (e.g. 2 hit kills)?
    4. Faster rockets, less damage (e.g. 4 hit kills)?
    5. Rocket spam?
    6. Rocket waves (batches of many rockets launched per wave)?
    7. Launch warning?
    8. Fixed location launcher?
    9. Dynamic moving launcher?
    10. Co-ed players (red and blue mixed)?
    11. Segregated players (red and blue separated with a barrier)?
    12. Kill zones (e.g. pits, cliffs, fire, etc...)?
    13. Dynamic objects per round?
    14. Nuke jump only areas (e.g. raised platforms)?
    15. Weather effects (e.g. rain)?
    16. Killer launchers (e.g. kill zone around a moving launcher)?

Community Regular

Re: Normal DB Map Feature Preference?

Depends on the size of map so I'll separate into small and big. For me personally.

Small map:
    2, 3, 11, 12, 14.

Big map:
    2, 4, 5, 12, and 13.

If you'd like me to explain my choices I'd be happy to.

Community Regular

I will probably add to this, but one that isn't on there that I would like to see more of in maps on normal db is the ability to orbit rockets like on Burst. To me that adds a layer of skill and strategy to the map.

#3 and #4 I like depending on the size of the map and the amount of maxed spawned rockets/nukes. For example I think Redcourt would be much more manageable without the damage zones with the mass amount of rockets coming at you. It is already tough enough with how many rockets spawn, but being squeezed because of the damage zones makes it almost impossible as the last person against multiple people.

I am a fan of areas you can only reach by rocket/nuke jumping #14. Gives something for more advanced players to try to achieve and have fun with.

I am not quite sure what you mean by #10. Do you mean like it is on the speed map called Neutral where the rockets/nukes can go after anybody on both teams? If so then that would be interesting to see on normal db if done properly.

I would like to see more of #13 and #15. I like Spill for the random objects every round. Would be interesting to see maps with weather effects that change the rockets direction or weather that changes the playing surface.

Server Admin

First, thanks for the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Power and Glory View Post
    I will probably add to this, but one that isn't on there that I would like to see more of in maps on normal db is the ability to orbit rockets like on Burst. To me that adds a layer of skill and strategy to the map.
    Correct, I should add that to the list... Rocket Orbit Speed

#3 and #4 I like depending on the size of the map and the amount of maxed spawned rockets/nukes. For example I think Redcourt would be much more manageable without the damage zones with the mass amount of rockets coming at you. It is already tough enough with how many rockets spawn, but being squeezed because of the damage zones makes it almost impossible as the last person against multiple people.
    The kill zone border seems to have fans on both sides of the argument, with no real winner. Since it goes with the basketball theme, I kept it in.

I am not quite sure what you mean by #10. Do you mean like it is on the speed map called Neutral where the rockets/nukes can go after anybody on both teams? If so then that would be interesting to see on normal db if done properly.
    Actually, it just means that both blue and red are mixed in the same area (e.g. redcourt or tunnel), where #11 is more like pingpong, where there is a clipped divider separating the teams.

Server Admin

While on the server, can you please try and get more players in here for input? It could impact map changes, map rotations, possible new maps, etc... Thanks.

Community Regular

No putting a view don't frequent the regular db server enough for that

but maybe a steam group announcement pointing to this thread? so many db regulars in the voogru steam group even if they don't usually show their faces on the fora

• Single launcher, many rockets?
    • Many launchers, several rockets each?

I prefer 2, but it comes down to how the map is designed.

• Slower rockets, more damage (e.g. 2 hit kills)?
    • Faster rockets, less damage (e.g. 4 hit kills)?

Like jubjub said, map size really matters here. Tunnel uses slower rockets since its smaller for example. Larger maps need the faster rockets.

• Rocket spam?

Rocket spam is ok for a few rounds, but gets tiring in the end. When I think rocket spam, I think of maps like... argh can't remember the name... warpath?

• Rocket waves (batches of many rockets launched per wave)?

Seeing a volley of rockets spawn is always intimidating and fun. Dangit cant remember the map name, but this type of play seems to tie in with the map theme.

• Launch warning?

If you have some super deadly nasty surprise planned, a warning sound would be nice. If there will be a Nuke that will cause the end of the world, yes warning lol

• Fixed location launcher?
    • Dynamic moving launcher?

Moving launchers are good to encourage situational awareness. I have wondered what it would be like to have an opposing rocket launcher sneak to the side to try and throw you off. Going behind the player may be a little overkill though lol.

• Co-ed players (red and blue mixed)?

This set up always has push fights waiting to happen lol. While I'm not a fan, you can have all the maps segregated. Some maps are designed for push fights too.

• Segregated players (red and blue separated with a barrier)?

I prefer this, but its always interesting to let players have the ability to nuke jump over to the other side.

• Kill zones (e.g. pits, cliffs, fire, etc...)?

Yes, gotta have more hazards then just rockets.

• Dynamic objects per round?

Like walls you can break? That would be interesting.

• Nuke jump only areas (e.g. raised platforms)?

Defiantly yes here. The risk and reward with nuke jumping onto platforms is always fun. Like that capture point in Stadium.

• Weather effects (e.g. rain)?

Weather can cause some lag, but people can turn that off on their end. Shouldn't be a big deal.

• Killer launchers (e.g. kill zone around a moving launcher)?

Oh god, dont think we have a map like that yet. Killer lazer launcher of doom randomly flying around a co-ed map would be so chaotic and lol.

Argh this post is such a bloody mess lol...

Server Admin

Thanks for the feedback KrewL.

I am working on a new map for both DB and DBS with similar features, just obvious launcher differences. Hopefully it'll provide something new, fresh, and fun for our dedicated players. Alpha 1 is about 65% done with playtesting starting possibly this weekend. Sorry KrewL, this new map is not segregated and will most likely have push battles... it just adds to the risk.

I was hoping for more feedback on this thread, and appreciate those of you that took the time.

Community Regular

I'll have a go at getting a few more. I appreciate the work you're doing as I'm sure many others do.

OMG I did the can/can't typo again sfhsdjghfhj!!!! I'll never rid myself of that curse.

-This set up always has push fights waiting to happen lol. While I'm not a fan, you can't have all the maps segregated. Some maps are designed for push fights too.

I dont hate push maps with a passion, though some maps I feel more compelled to join the dark side lol. In Spill, I must raid and conquer that shovel lol.

I am looking forward to this new map.