V
Home Rules Plug-Ins Forums Donate

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dota 2

Old School

Re: Dota 2

Quote Originally Posted by Satertek View Post
    Crap, installed League of Legends just to compare the two and now I've done and got myself addicted. Dammit.

Seems like it's easier to hit the level cap in LoL, so if it one team does get ahead, it's easier to catch up.
    I gave LoL a 2 week trial, but it felt so slow based compared to HoN that I had to go back...Dominion is a lot of fun though and I still play it.

Community Regular

LoL is really more designed for the casual gamer. DotA caters much more to the hard-core gamer. HoN is kind of in between.

That's how it was explained to me by a friend of mine who has played DotA and HoN extensively and follows the eSports world for those games.

Old School

I have a Dota 2 beta invite, if anyone is interested, speak up, first come first serve.

Community Regular

If no one else wants it more than I do, I'll take it (signing up to be second priority)

never played that style game before but I've got a friend who lives within that domain, averaging like 60-70 hours a week

Server Admin

Started playing again last week and I really haven't come across any of my earlier complaints. I'm now hopelessly addicted and still have about 340 hours left in my learning curve.

Community Regular

I'm still sitting around waiting for some kind of invite somewhere. :0 But I watched my friend play and it looked real exciting.

You can like, buy, invites now. I'm not sure how I feel about this.

Community Regular

So I have three(3) DOTA2 keys and was informed I could possibly trade them away. So, I figured I'd ask you all here if anyone would like them to please PM me.

They did in fact settle the DOTA/Dota argument, mainly by declaring DOTA to be Defense of the Ancients and Dota as being..well, Dota lol, it basically no longer represents the former acronym. I tried LoL, seemed like a dumbed down DOTA (I know it is made by some of the OG creators/modders) and too cartoony for me, plus I hate the fact that someone can spend real money right away to get access to characters I have to play like 500 games to get (without paying). Some Dota games may seem like a lost cause, but one big team gank can completely change the whole dynamic of the game and lead to an opponent win. Also, hero makeup on a team is quite important, because even if your squad dominates early game, if you cannot close the deal early you may not have the end game heros to take the win. Some char's basically hit a damage-giving threshhold, and somewhat early (casters are vulnerable to this because their spells only increase in damage with spell level and not char lvl, that is why melee attackers are good for end game) and if a team is built up of only these chars, they have to finish quick or risk being overwhelmed by a team that scales much better to the end game. And yes, newb's and such are frustrating and it does improve when you raise level, but remember, we were all newbs once .

P.S. any super old school DOTA players remember the pre-cursor to it, AoS (Aeon of Strife I think? Or age maybe???)?

Old School

Quote Originally Posted by Sh33p View Post
    P.S. any super old school DOTA players remember the pre-cursor to it, AoS (Aeon of Strife I think? Or age maybe???)?
    Aeon of Strife, yes.

You get into WC3 and SC tower defenses at all? My OG games on WC3 were AOS and DOTA but after that I moved pretty quick into TD's. Blixel's, Dixel's, Legion TD, I loved the combat ones (I think legion has been remade in SC2 now), I can't remember all my favorites but I do have my original WC3 maps folder somewheres!