V
Home Rules Plug-Ins Forums Donate

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dota 2

Old School

Dota 2

Sorry if there has been another post in regards to Dota 2. I searched and couldn't find anything.

I've been an avid DotA player since Warcraft 3. The beta has been out for a few months, and you can sign up here for an invite:
    https://steamcommunity.com/openid/lo...ntifier_select

The link that I provided may ask a couple of questions regarding game play. I am more than willing to help all of you out in terms of answers for their questions.

I figure a couple of ya'll will take a look.

Enjoy!

Community Regular

Re: Dota 2

Been signed up since you could register, still have not gotten my invite

Server Admin

Played for a few hours today. Never played any of the DOTA games before (well, maybe a few matches in WC3 when I had no idea what was going on)

Getting the hang of it but I don't think I'll put much time into it further for the simple fact that it takes waaaaay too long to end a game.

Often the teams are so unbalanced that the game is decided within the first minute, yet it still takes 20 more for the other team to play it safe, get up to level 15 or so, then finally plow through everything.

There should really be a popup that detects when the game is massively unbalanced by levels and gold, and ask if you want to resign. It's ridiculous, and you can't quit as it'll count against you in the matchmaking system.

Maybe it gets better at a level where everyone know what they're doing, but it still seems from spectating some games, there gets to a point where one team is a few thousand gold ahead and never loses the lead, yet it still takes forever to finish the game.

This is all compounded by the fundamentals of the game: XP and gold. Most games can be fun even if you're losing, but DOTA always sucks after certain point because there's nothing you can do. You just have to sit there and let them slowly work their way into your base.

Edit: I think I understand now why these games are such "noob-unfriendly". If one guy just sucks, you're stuck wasting 30-40 minutes of watching your whole team get mopped up repeatedly.

Old School

Quote Originally Posted by Satertek View Post
    Played for a few hours today. Never played any of the DOTA games before (well, maybe a few matches in WC3 when I had no idea what was going on)

Getting the hang of it but I don't think I'll put much time into it further for the simple fact that it takes waaaaay too long to end a game.

Often the teams are so unbalanced that the game is decided within the first minute, yet it still takes 20 more for the other team to play it safe, get up to level 15 or so, then finally plow through everything.

There should really be a popup that detects when the game is massively unbalanced by levels and gold, and ask if you want to resign. It's ridiculous, and you can't quit as it'll count against you in the matchmaking system.

Maybe it gets better at a level where everyone know what they're doing, but it still seems from spectating some games, there gets to a point where one team is a few thousand gold ahead and never loses the lead, yet it still takes forever to finish the game.

This is all compounded by the fundamentals of the game: XP and gold. Most games can be fun even if you're losing, but DOTA always sucks after certain point because there's nothing you can do. You just have to sit there and let them slowly work their way into your base.

Edit: I think I understand now why these games are such "noob-unfriendly". If one guy just sucks, you're stuck wasting 30-40 minutes of watching your whole team get mopped up repeatedly.
    No, this is how most MOBA games go and why it's so frustrating/raging inducing when you have a bad team. The genre has so much potential but the communities are usually filled with jerks and the games do take a long time to finish.

Community Regular

DOTA2 needs a 'concede' button. Heroes of Newerth has a feature where your team can vote to concede the game early, but even that can be frustrating because when you have that one idiot who is ruining it for everyone, he often is the one who will refuse to quit.
    The steep learning curve and the large time investment required to actually become good at the game is the main reason I stopped playing HoN and don't really play DOTA2. I occasionally play when some friends are playing, because I know they aren't total noobs and will actually concede the game when we know it's over.
    Best advice I can give for being successful/having fun in a MOBA is to play with people you know, whether it's friends from the real world or from a clan. Having a regular group to play with is best in a MOBA.

Server Admin

Backtracking from my last post, I don't like the idea of a concede button, there needs to be some game mechanic that lets you win when you're obviously going to win eventually. Maybe a certain threshold when comparing the K/D ratios of the team, or the average levels of the team. If it's just a concede button, there will always be those games where 3 guys want to keep playing till the very end. It needs to be built into the game design.

Old School

Quote Originally Posted by Satertek View Post
    Backtracking from my last post, I don't like the idea of a concede button, there needs to be some game mechanic that lets you win when you're obviously going to win eventually. Maybe a certain threshold when comparing the K/D ratios of the team, or the average levels of the team. If it's just a concede button, there will always be those games where 3 guys want to keep playing till the very end. It needs to be built into the game design.
    Thinks like back dooring, a solid teamfight, or other team based stupidity can often turn the tides. I'd hate for the game to just suddenly decide it thinks I suck and randomly end the game.

Community Regular

I agree with G2. There have been many a LoL games where someone gets ballsy and tries to backdoor the enemy when we're getting slaughtered at base and yet it's so insane that it actually works and throws the team off and now suddenly they're fighting among themselves to go back to defend or just continue rushing your crystal and your team capitalizes on it and you win.

There are games when it is obvious you have lost (mainly players on your team that just are chewing on their keyboards instead of actually playing) and some where people think it can turn around.

There is not a "good" way to solve it in game. The only way I can think of is as Saber said: just play with friends, everyone can decide if they want to concede or not.

Community Regular

Did Valve and Blizzard ever end their dispute on whether DOTA was trademarked by Blizzard or not?

Server Admin

Crap, installed League of Legends just to compare the two and now I've done and got myself addicted. Dammit.

Seems like it's easier to hit the level cap in LoL, so if it one team does get ahead, it's easier to catch up.