V
Home Rules Plug-Ins Forums Donate

Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Planetside 2

Server Admin

Re: Planetside 2

Think they're waiting for me to finish my project before starting beta.

Sure hope that awesome Vanu hover tank is still fun to drive. That's the best part of Vanu.....especially hovering across lakes. So many good times.

Community Regular

Ugh, I hated the magmower, so hard to dodge. And just thinking about the noise the Jackhammer made still makes me uneasy.

Community Regular

Haven't played much since a few months after launch of PS1. I liked the giant open world, hated the tiny copy/paste bases you needed to attack/defend.

also, vanu ftw

Old School

I remember beta-testing the first Planetside. Back in those days they actually mailed me CDs for the beta rather than having it be a download. Was a fun game but couldn't really justify the subscription cost. Sounds strange, but probably my favorite moments were driving the slow moving energy supply trucks (ANT I think it was called) recklessly through enemy forces to refill the tank of a besieged base before it ran out of energy.

So yea, looking forward to it since pretty much nothing has been done with the MMOFPS genre since the first game (probably because everyone develops FPS for consoles these days)

Old School

Quote Originally Posted by Rage View Post
    I remember beta-testing the first Planetside. Back in those days they actually mailed me CDs for the beta rather than having it be a download. Was a fun game but couldn't really justify the subscription cost. Sounds strange, but probably my favorite moments were driving the slow moving energy supply trucks (ANT I think it was called) recklessly through enemy forces to refill the tank of a besieged base before it ran out of energy.

So yea, looking forward to it since pretty much nothing has been done with the MMOFPS genre since the first game (probably because everyone develops FPS for consoles these days)
    This was Thief's and I's first experience in the game as well when I first got into the beta. Its amazing how a TI4600 was more than enough in beta but performance slowly got worse and worse.

Server Admin

I was impressed at how well it handled on lower end systems. I'm still a bit skeptical if SOE can really pull this off... better than before. One of my biggest issues with PS1, is that SOE had the hardest time with balance. Every patch would tip the scale to one of the 3 nations, with Vanu feeling the nerfs the most. We finally had a 2 week golden window of balance, then they released Core, which seemed to take the balance back to an earlier code base as it was all out of whack again.

Hopefully, SOE has found their Zen and we'll have a solid PS2 MMOFPS to enjoy in the coming years.

Community Regular

You got that right HoundDawg, balance was great for that little while, but soon as they threw it out of whack again was when I quit playing.
    The last straw for me was when some glaring bugs surfaced with the infiltration suit that they just didn't seem to care about. I got tired of people being able to see me when they shouldn't and SOE not fixing it patch after patch

Server Admin

I never had a problem with the infiltration suit. Every time I was detected it was due to several reasons:
    1. Another infiltrator stalking me.
    2. Engineer sensor.
    3. Blind spray fire.
    4. Walking into a player (often in spiral stairs) stopping his movement.
    5. Running.

You could tell which items were nerfed/enhanced with every patch... as everyone would be looting those items from backpacks.

Which reminds me... Pistols should never be more powerful than the bigger guns at range. This was my pet peeve. In fact, no pistol falloff for many games turn me off. They're not sniper rifles.... or assault rifles.

Community Regular

What really angered me the most was that when SOE finally did give the cloaker some love and fix the bugs, they altered Interlink Stations to give the 'see cloakers anywhere even if they aren't moving' ability. That made Sensor Shield a mandatory implant, and that isn't fair. They nerfed cloakers because the masses complained. Just like they added BFRs because the masses asked for it, even though I remember when it was in development they were asked if there would be mechs and they said something to the effect of, "no, there will never be mechs in planetside, they don't fit the concept of our game."
    Yea....

/rant
    Anyways, I just hope they stick to their 'concept' and don't cater to the masses who want there to be no skill required.

Server Admin

unfortunately, masses = $