V
Home Rules Plug-Ins Forums Donate

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Re: My computer issues

Well, I am going to assume you have been out of the loop for a little bit on GPU's Saber, because, 1, its AMD now :P, and 2, as far as reliability AMD has been pretty head to head with NVidia as of late and are very competitive especially at lower costs (although NVidia generally holds the high end of the market pretty well, the individual manufacturer of the card is more important I think for reliability.). Corsair are great PSU's, my one concern with the above plans though is the fact that you only have 2gb of RAM, that is gonna hold you back a bit no matter what GPU you buy. I think that needs to be upgraded to at least 4gb and DDR2 is quite expensive. Have you confirmed your MOBO is the model that only accepts DDR2? There is a very similar MOBO model that does support DDR3, but I suspect that is not the one you have.

Community Regular

Thanks and keep the suggestions coming.
    My monitor is a Acer H233H LCD http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/MO...H233Hsp2.shtml

And sadly Sh33p that IS my mobo, only DDR2 -- this is one of those details I wished I had known when I got the damn thing. I don't even know the difference between the DDRs. But oh well this is what I have to work with.

Case: Thermaltake Armor http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?EdpNo=1389580
    It is a beast, my reasoning back in like 2006 was that I didn't want to have to buy another case. Ever! The size makes it an eyesore but the space allows my to cram all kinds of crap in it. Again oh well it's what I got.

I have CPU-Z already should I try an upload images?

PSU: Corsair TX650, I can do this

GPU:? 7850 1GB? which one? Does the DDR matter on them? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...0+1GB&x=26&y=8

Lemme look a little more, thats gonna be a pretty good GPU for you as long as you are willing to spend that much, generally you want the VRAM on the card to be DDR5, it is much faster to have 1 GB DDR5 than 3 GB DDR3. Like I said, you will have to upgrade your PSU and ideally get more RAM to take advantage of any new card. Ill post some recommendations asap.

Server Subscriber

XFX seems to be the preferred brand for ATI cards. I think 1GB of RAM is sufficient for your needs and there seems to be no variation in type (all DDR5) or amount of RAM anyway.

Well, here is what I have together so far.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mVZw
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mVZw/by_merchant/
    Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mVZw/benchmarks/

Memory: Corsair XMS2 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2-800 Memory ($53.75 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($78.24 @ SuperBiiz)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card ($159.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($54.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $346.97
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

It's a little north of what you were looking for. Basically, I think the PSU is a good choice, as is the GPU (that GPU at 1gb gets almost the same performance as a 7850 with 2gb and is factory OC'd, also a good choice I think, shouldn't have trouble maxing most/all games at 1080p). Again, if you can provide your RAM we might be able to get away with simply adding to what you already have as opposed to buying a full set. I just picked a moderately sized but extremely reliable HDD, the blacks come with a 5 year warranty. You could go higher or lower capacity to save some bucks, or for a lower line like the green line which will save some power but only comes with 2 year (i think) warranty. What I would do is keep an eye out for a good deal on an HDD and just swoop it up when you can (or if you don't need toooo much capacity, I have seen 128gb SSD's for 70 bucks which is a good deal). I still think you definitely need a RAM increase somehow though to take advantage of the new card.

^^ is right XFX is a pretty good brand but that Sapphire is screaming out at me and I think they are a fairly reliable brand too. Heres a chart from Toms that shows relative GPU performance, and the 1GB Sapphire that is not even OC'd performs only .6 less than a 2gb 7850: http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2...ntry,2975.html

Server Subscriber

For system RAM, check to see if your local Goodwill has a store that handles computer stuff. Austin has one up north. As many years as DDR2 RAM was the standard, I would bet they have a ton on hand. You could probably find some good quality RAM for cheap. Just make sure it is the correct speed. Based on Sh33ps post, that would be DDR2-800.

As for storage, you can find a 1TB for roughly the same price as the 500GB recommended. WD Black is a good hard drive but I don't know if you would notice enough speed difference. Save up for an SSD if you want a real speed boost. A Crucial M4 256GB can be found for around $160 these days. It's the most noticeable upgrade I have made in years.

Community Regular

This man is going to poop out a baby in the coming weeks. Spare him of your computing wet dreams and SSD fantasies.

a damn shame the mobo only supports ddr2 memory, if I'm not mistaken the gskill ripjaws 2x4 gb ram modules at 1600 mhz sell for 30 bucks on black friday, which would only be usable on a 64 bit OS (he noted using cracked windows xp, so I suppose if he doesn't have it he can easily just TAKE it)

I can testify for the reliability of sapphire's ATI cards, and as for storage, unless you're pushing around a lot of data around frequently 1 tb may very well last you until the end of your days (although I say fuck it, sign me up for that 70 dollar f3 spinpoint drive)

feels good to have a bajillion gbs of ram and HDD space, :heart::heart::heart: LONG LIVE THE ATI RADEON 6950 :heart::heart::heart:

The man said he can't spend more than 300 bucks, so set your totals to at least $350.

time to list com-pooper parts to sort out all this mess

-cpu
    amd phenom II 945 @ 3.0 ghz (IT STAYS)

-mobo
    SOMETHING WITH DDR2 (KILL IT WITH FIRE), but seriously, to spend ~50 bucks on 4 gb of ram, might as well drop an extra 50 to get a mobo that's ~70 bucks and get twice the memory

-hdds
    his music drive
    his current main drive
    his future super duper ultra consolidated f3 spinpoint 1 tb drive (technically 931 gb, but who's counting), goes on sale without warning for 70 bucks sometimes

-gpu
    I'm still leaning towards the $200 (15 dollar rebate you'll receive promptly after your death) 2 gb 7850

-ram
    current 2 gb at ddr2 800 (tf2 draws anywhere from 0.6 - ~1 gb of ram for me), wouldn't say hitting 4 gb's of ram usage is easy without opening a fair bit of memory intensive programs, let alone 8, BUT DDR3 RAM IS DIRT CHEAP NOWADAYS
    FUTURE 2X4 GB RIPJAWS

grand total : $370

If there was a microcenter store located anywhere in a 10 mile radius of where I am I'd live there.

EXPECT COMPUTER UPGRADES TO TAKE HALF THE TIME AND COST 4 TIMES AS MUCH

Community Regular

I understand the mobo argument, but it is not only taking out the board I have, it is also getting more paste and disconnecting my cpu and all the crap that is involved with. I just don't want to do that this time. I will eat the cost of another stick of ram to bring me to 4gigs.

CPU-Z : http://valid.canardpc.com/2576539

Trying to sort out all this stuff:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/n6Va

Can I just add another stick of ram to my 2 gigs?

Well, the issue with that is compatibility, there is a chance that I think is greater with older RAM (ddr2) that it will not work together with your current set. I checked newegg and any of the ram that matched your timings were at least 4gb and cost 140+ lol so I think that is not an option, you could try a set with similar timings but I think the voltage the ram is running at is important to so you would need to find that (it may be on the memory page of cpu-z I am not sure) and match it up too. The problem is any ram you order might not work so you would probably have to exchange it and try a new set till you found one that worked. That's why it's better to buy a whole set. But that idea about goodwill was a good one, or a small computer shop or something, that may have used ram which is probably perfectly good and a lesser investment to try and find something that works.

As for the HDD, I would still keep an eye out for a 1tb Western Digital caviar black, they are pretty much the go to drive for reliability and come with a 5 year warranty, the samsung used to be a top drive but are now a seagate rebrand I believe. I just saw one (the caviar black) on the quick deals at newegg today for either 70 or 80 bucks, keep an eye out for PSU's and HDD's on newegg and amazon especially this month, there have been tons of deals already on good stuff. Heck, if you didn't need a lot of storage right away you could wait for another deal on SSD's and get a 128gb drive for 70 bucks to use as a boot drive, they have been coming up fairly often but you gotta grab em quick. I think that GPU at that price is a premo choice although I heard good things about the sapphire brand as well. That's probably a little more than you would need to spend on a PSU, but it is a quality PSU.

Community Regular

Thank you again.
    Just that web site you put up Sh33p has been great I am stalking my parts hourly with it.
    Here is to hoping for some sweet deals