Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
My computer issues
V
Home Rules Plug-Ins Forums Donate

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Community Regular

My computer issues

So when I am playing tf2 at some random point my computer freezes and acts like there is a lag problem and then it hiccups back and this is what I see:

Here is some of my info:
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 1.09 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
    NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT
    AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 3.01 GHz

I am trying to figure out what I need to replace or add to fix it,
    Any suggestions?

Community Regular

Re: My computer issues

looks like a gfx card problem, what with all the artefacts. Did u update your driver recently? If so a rollback might help......

Community Regular

I would check the graphics drivers like Grimm said, but definitely check your graphics card for dust. Seems like something that would happen with a stuck fan to me.

do you have:
    - Multicore rendering on? if so, pm me on steam for a working multicore cfg for your Phenom CPU.
    - any FPS config installed? if so, you might have some settings that are .... dubious at best.
    - any custom mods/skins/models installed? to be sure, delete all in \team fortress 2\tf\ except the "maps" and the "cfg" folder. (this might lose you favorites and already downloaded stuff from servers etc)
    - if you dont have a fps config installed, start the game with the -autoconfig launch parameter ONCE (remove it after that, it will remove your changed binds too).
    - when such happens, check out the windows logs for events that occurred, you might find a driver (most prolly the videocard driver) that dipped its job and restarted.

Server Subscriber

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDaKag7GZlo]YouTube - ‪dan aykroyd as jimmy carter on snl‬‏[/ame]

I'd say that it was a driver crash off my cuff. That is also not unsymptomatic with heat stress (causing a driver crash). Many people assume that the problem with their hardware is that it's overheating when, you know what, it ain't. But that... that could actually be the rare occurrence of thermal problems.

Here's something you can do to rule out software issues. Uninstall all your NVIDIA software, and then run Driver Cleaner Pro to remove every last trace of NVIDIA steps. Then install the newest drivers. XP corrupts its drivers particularly if you've ever switched from NVIDIA to ATI, even if you switch back.

If you still have problems, the only solid way to rule out software is to do a clean install of Windows. (Consider Windows 7; it's actually less hardware-intense than XP SP4, although you more than meet Vista's low-end requirements and you might be able to beg off a free copy from someone whose upgraded.)

If you want to rule out hardware you need to borrow someone else's video card (If you live nearby Denver I have a stack of HD 4- and 5000-series video cards from hardware reviews I can loan you, shit, if you want one, I'll sell it to you for half whatever they're selling for online plus postage) or you can take it out, clean it off with isopropyl alcohol and q-tips. Then carefully remove the heatsink and wash off all the factory thermal interface material. Replace it with new, premiumer goo and reassemble. That will take care of overheating problems.

ehm, you dont need *YUCK* driver cleaner *PUKE*, NVidia driver installation has a cleaner option in itself.

Cleaning and re-applying cooling paste... yeah, somewhat.

Actually clean it up, remove all non printplate parts (slot playte, cooling fans, covers etc), and put it in the oven on 170-180 degrees (celcius) for 10 min, THEN apply new grease and re-assemble the card. That will make your card brand new.
    what it does is melt the solder on the printplate so cracks are molten closed again. Melt temp of the solder is 170, the print-plate its 210-220.
    Tho many do this as a last option before buying another card. It voids warranty.

Be sure to use Arctic Silver cooling paste.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_taI-CkPD3M[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCxc0bxk_1U[/ame]

Its the same trick of old days of opening up your CRT TV, and soldering all connections again, and have a spotless image.

Community Regular

9600 GT? If none of the fixes listed here work for you, you can upgrade for very cheap.

Community Regular

damn graphics card

I can't even see the cart anymore!!!

Community Regular

futuristic metropolis