V
Home Rules Plug-Ins Forums Donate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator

BSPProtect - Map Encryption Tool

Hey guys,

I previously discussed this issue (http://forums.voogru.com/dodgeball/1...ncryption.html), but did not publicly release the tool. This tool is completely optional if you want to use it or not, you will need to run this tool before sending the map over to be put on the server.

The goal is to make it more difficult to reverse engineer our maps so that communities without permission can't take them. If you don't mind your maps being used by other communities you can simply opt not to protect it.

I'm not going to be retroactivly encrypting map entities (because the tool would make the maps mismatch), nor will I encrypt the maps before installing them on the server. It's completely up to the mapper.

BSP Protect

BSPProtect

Purpose:

Using this tool will protect community maps from being used by other communities without permission, while some communities use the maps with permission (they make contributions to our community for the privilege), some may decide to use them without permission.

This tool works by stripping all of the entities from the map, and encrypts them back into the map. My server code will look for this when loading the map and properly pass through all of the entities to be spawned.

This program however has limits, it will not completely protect a map. The world (everything that is not tied to an entity) will still be available, and if someone is desperate enough they can re-create all of the entities manually.

This is however a very annoying process, any interesting logic that a map has will need to be re-created and usually people interested in stealing maps may not have the skill required to do this.

This tool has been packed in an effort to obfuscate itself enough so that it cannot be reverse engineered.

Usage:

1. Copy executable to:
    32 bit Windows: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\<username>\sourcesdk\bin\ora ngebox\bin
    64 bit Windows: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\<username>\sourcesdk\bin\ora ngebox\bin

2. Usage:
    Method 1: Drag and drop BSP over executable, BSP will be overwritten with protected map.
    Method 2: Automatic protection in Hammer:

Go to F9 (Run Map), on your configuration (Default or whatever) click "New", for the command, put in:
    32 bit Windows: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\<username>\sourcesdk\bin\ora ngebox\bin\bspprotect.exe
    64 bit Windows: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\<username>\sourcesdk\bin\ora ngebox\bin\bspprotect.exe

Parameters: $path\$file.bsp

This will protect the map as part of the build process, it is recommended that you only do this step just before posting your map on the website. When you're in the process of making the map, uncheck this step.

Server Admin

Re: BSPProtect - Map Encryption Tool

After I installed it, I created a shortcut on my desktop where I just drag the BPS over on it and let it run. It's pretty quick.

Thanks voogru... I originally didn't mind having my maps unencrypted, but I'm starting to see other mods looking for maps hunting down and changing a few entities so that they function there. I'd rather just see these stay within the DB communities.

So, maps "encrypted" by this, are only usable on Dodgeball/voogru servers. What about mapmakers who make maps for normal game etc. Any possibility to have those protected too, on their choice of servers? I'm not a mapmaker myself, but I see possibilities with such a tool as you have here for other purposes like I state above. Also a possibility to "withdraw" the permission would be an interesting option for some I'd guess.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by DataStorm View Post
    So, maps "encrypted" by this, are only usable on Dodgeball/voogru servers. What about mapmakers who make maps for normal game etc. Any possibility to have those protected too, on their choice of servers? I'm not a mapmaker myself, but I see possibilities with such a tool as you have here for other purposes like I state above. Also a possibility to "withdraw" the permission would be an interesting option for some I'd guess.
    Wow this is a late reply, but the tool could be modified to keep maps kind of exclusive to other communities, it's gamerules agnostic.

But I haven't had any requests for this.

Hey, I apologize for posting in an old thread and what could be considered advertising I guess but if you want to protect a map from decompiling, including both textures and entities, without requiring any server plugins or mods, you could use Map Obfuscator (won't let me post a link as I'm too new but if you search vmex on Google and go to the link on Valve Developer Community, there is a link to Map Obfuscator at the bottom)

edit: This was in response to DataStorm

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
    Hey, I apologize for posting in an old thread and what could be considered advertising I guess but if you want to protect a map from decompiling, including both textures and entities, without requiring any server plugins or mods, you could use Map Obfuscator (won't let me post a link as I'm too new but if you search vmex on Google and go to the link on Valve Developer Community, there is a link to Map Obfuscator at the bottom)

edit: This was in response to DataStorm
    I looked it up, when it comes to entities it just replaces the names with numbers, my encryption is much more thorough then that. The entities still have all of the same classnames (they have to) plus the keyvalues, properties, etc.

By now I'm part of a group where a event map is used that is made by one of our admins, and we would like to keep it exclusive, altho we'd want to be able to give other communities to give permission to use the map.

Could you tell what this would entail for the server? the server uses SourceMod, for we need to be able to teleport players, set 'm drunk, blind etc for the events that are run on our server. Those events are led by the admins etc. and the map is nearing its finished state, and we would like to keep the map exclusive for our server and the communities that we give permission for using it.

so concrete:
    - I understand a SM plugin or VSP is needed for the map to work, could you tell a bit more? would it conflict with the SourceMod plugin?
    - when giving permission to another community to use the map, how would that work? is it possible to "lock" it so they cannot give it out to another? (we already got a request for that and want to give the permission etc.)
    - If another community gets the same plugin, would they be able to use the map? or can it be locked with separate encryption "keys" etc. Giving permission to use the map with separate "keys" would I think be the easiest.

Thanks for answerring my last post here.... didn't check anymore after a couple weeks... lol, will pm if not in a week now

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by DataStorm View Post
    By now I'm part of a group where a event map is used that is made by one of our admins, and we would like to keep it exclusive, altho we'd want to be able to give other communities to give permission to use the map.

Could you tell what this would entail for the server? the server uses SourceMod, for we need to be able to teleport players, set 'm drunk, blind etc for the events that are run on our server. Those events are led by the admins etc. and the map is nearing its finished state, and we would like to keep the map exclusive for our server and the communities that we give permission for using it.

so concrete:
    - I understand a SM plugin or VSP is needed for the map to work, could you tell a bit more? would it conflict with the SourceMod plugin?
    - when giving permission to another community to use the map, how would that work? is it possible to "lock" it so they cannot give it out to another? (we already got a request for that and want to give the permission etc.)
    - If another community gets the same plugin, would they be able to use the map? or can it be locked with separate encryption "keys" etc. Giving permission to use the map with separate "keys" would I think be the easiest.

Thanks for answerring my last post here.... didn't check anymore after a couple weeks... lol, will pm if not in a week now
    I can seperate this into another plug-in for you, for a fee. But anyone with the plug-in would run the maps and you can't prevent them from giving the plug-in to other servers.

It won't conflict with SourceMod but will conflict with plug-ins like stripper 2.

Old School

Quote Originally Posted by voogru View Post
    I can seperate this into another plug-in for you, for a fee. But anyone with the plug-in would run the maps and you can't prevent them from giving the plug-in to other servers.

It won't conflict with SourceMod but will conflict with plug-ins like stripper 2.
    From another development perspective, shouldn't a call home system with UID's work to prevent others from giving away the plugin?

thnx Voogru,

A fee will be a problem I think, we cannot give ppl the "standard" things like reserved slots etc cos that would break up events when someone is kicked from the participated event group because of someone joining with a res slot, also other additional things are breaking for some events, and cannot be done. The admins have paid some, and the "founder" has paid most for it so far, we run pretty negative. We are still looking to fund it in a more normal way from players etc.

I will however confer with the others.

In regards of G2's reply: sounds like a plan, and can be a bit of a website where things can be permissioned by owners of a map or w/e.
    But tbh, that would get too fancy I guess, and would require prolly a higher fee.