V
Home Rules Plug-Ins Forums Donate

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Administrator

Please Read! TF2 Hats and Custom Weapons

Hey guys,

I wanted to go ahead and give a heads up on one of the last fires from yesterday.

Valve made a recent change (on purpose) to disable servers from issuing items (which include weapons/hats/wearables) to players that don't actually have them.

This appears to be disabled completely cosmetically, meaning the client is simply not rendering the custom items I issue.

These apply to custom weapons and custom hats. You personally will see your own custom weapons and hats, but other players will not see them.

I'm trying to either find a elegant work around (could be doubtful), or convince valve to reverse this change. This is a client side change that I may or may not be able to resolve and since valve purposly implemented this and it's not a side-effect of other changes they made, I'm worried that workarounds may be killed in the future which is why I'm focusing more on getting them to reverse this change.

Everything does _work_, the issue is simply cosmetics and I hate to have this kind of wrench put into my toys, especially one I may not be able to fix.

I've been up all night last night and didn't sleep very much today trying to get this last thing fixed.

So for now:

1. Hats not visible to other players.
    2. Custom weapons not visible to other players (most visible on the dodgeball servers where I force a special flamethrower onto players)

I have a petition asking valve to re-think this policy, I encourage everyone here to please sign it.

https://secure.voogru.com/petition/index.php

Server Admin

Re: TF2 Hats and Custom Weapons

You noof
    I am Momaw Nadon and I approve this message

Community Regular

I noticed that they disabled "ghost" players too. You're omnipotent sentinel is no more!

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Zaracen View Post
    I noticed that they disabled "ghost" players too. You're omnipotent sentinel is no more!
    No, he's still there.

Community Regular

no.

NO

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

this is heart breaking, however i felt something like this would happen eventually.

Server Admin

My guess would be that it hinders their cross-sell promotions like the most recent Sam & Max promotion. "Why buy that game when I can have the items while I play on voogru servers?" It's always about the $. Follow the $, the answers are there.

An even wilder guess... is that the client is connecting to Valve's server, which contains our backpack with the items we have. The new TF2 update is probably displaying based on actual items in our backpack, rather than however voogru has been doing it. I'm pretty sure that if you're able to hack the items into subscriber backpacks, you'll be contacted by Valve's attorneys.

Unfortunately, this is a huge hit to the subscriber bonus, which we may need to think of new creative bonuses for subscribers. Perhaps something like... team selection (non-subscribers are always auto-assigned), any type of voting, etc...

UPDATE: So Valve just released a new update with these 2 new cvars...
    - Added further PropHunt mode support:
    - Added a "SetCustomModelRotates" input, which will enable/disable whether the custom model should rotate yaw (enabled by default)
    - Added a "SetCustomModelVisibletoSelf" input, which will set whether or not the local player should see his own custom model
    I find it interesting that they're adding support for the 3rd party PropHunt gameplay mod.... I suppose they're not interested in adding official dodgeball support because it's not freely available?

Aside from that.... if PropHunt gameplay still functions to where other players can see the prop models the other players are... I don't see why subscriber hats couldn't work. Most likely may require a different implementation (something more similar to PropHunt). Something to look into voogru.

Community Regular

Voogru will have found a workaround in no time. He doesn't sleep until his servers are the way he wants them.

Old School

My neon green football helmet.

DAMN YOU ALAZAAAAAR!

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Zaracen View Post
    Voogru will have found a workaround in no time. He doesn't sleep until his servers are the way he wants them.
    The workarounds would probably get patched.

I'm starting a petition and I encourage everyone here to read it, and sign it.

https://secure.voogru.com/petition/index.php

Server Admin

Re: Please Read! TF2 Hats and Custom Weapons

Signed... unfortunately, with my experience running UnitedAdmins in the past and having HL1 anti-cheats and other mods literally destroyed by Valve's patch updates... I don't have a lot of faith that this will get fixed unless it's a side bug from something they implemented and wasn't aware it affected this.

Otherwise, I seriously think this what put into place for their cross-promotion sales and marketing efforts. If so, it's not going to get reversed no matter how many signatures show up on the petition.