Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
What's for dinner? - Page 3
V
Home Rules Plug-Ins Forums Donate

Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Re: What's for dinner?

Psshh, Schizoid please start a Meals on Wheels service and start leaving delicious food on my doorstep. Thx in advance.

Community Regular

Quote Originally Posted by =X=Bina View Post
    I want to do leftovers night at Lady V's house!
    I'd make you a Tupperware to go

I miss tarts. There is a lot of pies here but I personally prefer tarts as they bring the taste of the fruit better plus I find the tartelettes to be easier to serve and share.

I also at home have a lot of 3/4 course meals. I don't like to eat a huge plate of just one dish, it is more work to eat multiple courses but it is healthier as it is more diversified as I get a bigger count of vegetables and fruits. I usually go for:
    -a soup or an entree (entree that means starter not main course), so I get to eat seasonal vegetables.
    -a main course, fish or meat with vegetables or starch food (potatoes, rice, pasta)
    -a salad and cheese
    -dessert.

Anyway this is one of my favorite dessert:

Tartelettes a la pomme.

I made a tutorial on how to precook a crust if you guys are interested: Link
    A lot of people do not precook their homemade crust and the result is bad! The crust is soggy, bland and partially cooked.

Server Subscriber

Lady, that looks so, so , so good. I was a baker in my early 20s and I have to agree with you about tarts. The only pie I like is key lime, and even then only if it is nice and tart. What kind of apples do you use? Granny Smiths or Haralsons would be perfect. Greenings wouldn't be quite as tart but they are tart and have a strong apple taste after baking.

I had Krystals, kin to White Castle. I was disappointed when I didn't run into Neil Patrick Harris.

Community Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.T View Post
    Lady, that looks so, so , so good. I was a baker in my early 20s and I have to agree with you about tarts. The only pie I like is key lime, and even then only if it is nice and tart. What kind of apples do you use? Granny Smiths or Haralsons would be perfect. Greenings wouldn't be quite as tart but they are tart and have a strong apple taste after baking.

I had Krystals, kin to White Castle. I was disappointed when I didn't run into Neil Patrick Harris.
    I like the baker's kind that stays up and firm while baking. I went to the farmer's market and got some organic Jonagold. But as you said granny smith is so versatile, it would work great.

I don't think I ever had Haralsons or Neil Patrick Harris, I should look for some. It is nice to leave in another country and taste different varieties!

Community Regular

god damnit i want pie and pastry now

Community Regular

Typical weekday dinner: meat and veggies.

Today is 1lb of ground beef with half an onion, half each of green and orange peppers, half a can of small black olives and two small/medium tomatos, all chopped up and mixed together with spicy taco seasoning, steamed broccoli with butter and pepper on the side. It will all be eaten in one sitting, and will be absolutely delicious. It is a great lazy man's dinner.

Weekends I cook things that are more than a bunch of crap thrown together. A couple weeks ago it was chicken soup, last week it was pancit (which several Filipino friends said was delicious, woo! Also: mine looks nothing at all like that picture and includes the cabbage and Chinese sausage) and I've been craving beef stew lately so that will be coming up shortly. Keeping in with the 'lazy' theme, when I do cook I like to make lots so I can eat it for more than one day. Cooking for one gets tedious.

Server Subscriber

Jonagold is similar in taste to the Haralson. Grannys will be tarter, if you're into that.

Server Admin

Had some Beluga caviar with dinner as part of a meal that probably cost more than I would like to think about. First time eating "real" caviar, it was good, but I wasn't too impressed. Definitely not worth the stupid high prices it commands. I wanted to get a picture for this thread, but it wasn't a whip-out-the-cell phone type of meal
    Good thing I wasn't picking up the tab

Server Admin

I've only had the relatively cheap variety of caviar, and it wasn't inspiring. But apple tarts are inspiring! I have those little tart pans, Lady V, and I've never used them. But I'm going to follow your tutorial and give it a whirl. I have a French cook book that I've used to make a tart with before. It had a pre-baked crust and an apricot glaze on top of the apples (pretty much just warmed up apricot jelly, as I recall.) One of the world's most delicious desserts. The book also had an amazing recipe for almond tuiles. Probably the best cookies I've ever tasted. Almonds baked with butter and sugar, a bit of flour tossed in for good measure. How can you go wrong with that combination? They look cute, too. Little curved ovals, like Pringles potato chips.

So, as to dinner -- last night we had cod with a sauce of lemon, white wine, butter and capers; orzo and green salad. Tonight it'll be beef tenderloin wrapped in bacon and served over arugula. Rosemary olive oil bread on the side along with a good cabernet sauvignon.

I have to confess, I'm trying to lose a few pounds before summer. (Probably like half of America.) Inevitably the less food I eat, the more obsessively I think abt it. The plus side is that I make good stuff. If I don't get to eat a lot, what I do eat better be damn good. So I still eat the bacon and the butter and the dessert, but just a little. Then I head to the gym . . .

Server Admin

Oooooh pie.

AH! Remember the Twin Peaks diner that they always ate pie at? That's near Seattle. That have the best cherry pie I've ever eaten. I'm going to go get some. (yes, I am aware of the naughty nature of those sentences)
    I am Momaw Nadon and I approve this message